Board index General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber Adventure and Dual Sport Fall Foliage Dual Sporting!

Fall Foliage Dual Sporting!

Big bikes and long hikes. Where's your big bike taking you today?

Post Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:58 pm

What a perfect Fall day for a dual sport ride today! Jackpiner and myself had a really nice 115 mile ride today up in NW MA and southern VT. Dueling KTM's was the order of the day, a 500 for him and 400 for me. Foliage is getting pretty good but I think all the dry weather is muting it slightly.
We were both on Conti TKC80's which seem a good compromise between back roads and the dirt/gravel tracks. They will move around under you in the really dry lose stuff but do it fairly predictably.

10 10 2020 03.jpg

10 10 2020 02.jpg

Post Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Nice pics. Man I'm missing my 400. How is the 500 by comparison? Easier to ride harder, more tiring etc.

I'm assuming you've traded bikes. thanks in advance
I wanted a rich uncle, but I got an Uncle Rich.

Post Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:44 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Nice pics. Man I'm missing my 400. How is the 500 by comparison? Easier to ride harder, more tiring etc.

I'm assuming you've traded bikes. thanks in advance

Yes, swapped bikes for a stretch. So getting off my 400 and on the 500 what I noticed most;
As expected the bike is gruntier down low and the FI is very precise. More power through the powerband but less linear than the 400. The suspension feels tighter yet still responsive.
As a whole it feels exactly like you might expect as basically the next generation of the 400. Definitely strongly related in overall feel. As we didn't ride anything that would be considered technical I can't prove it but a good rider could manage it on the single track just fine though I'm not sure racing in that environment would be its forte. Very capable and versitle moto for sure.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:25 pm
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Just bought a 400 and made it street legal to do the same thing.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:12 pm

this is more my speed now a days.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:36 pm

MikeDi wrote:

After enjoying a broken foot in the last scrambles, this is more my speed too at least for the remainder of the year.

Both bikes are sweet in their own special way.
That 400 makes you feel like you can do no wrong. Like riding a couch.
The 500 will remind you when you get too heavy on the throttle without enough traction to keep the wheels in line.
More aggressive tires would help but they would have been half cooked at the end of the ride.
The TKC80s had just broken the edge after 110 miles.
Need to figure out the intent of the ride beforehand.
The bikes are very versatile and can be adapted to any situation with a few tweaks like bigger tanks or tail racks/bags etc.
they’d be great for backcountry moto camping with some rackless luggage.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:40 pm

Dan wrote:
Just bought a 400 and made it street legal to do the same thing.

What year?
I still have my 00 400 and was going to sell it, but I keep toying with the idea to hang onto it.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 am
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Post Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 am

I'm gearing up the 690 for moto camping or at least to carry enough stuff for two nights.
First on the list is the Flatlander route in NH.
It's about a 450-500 mile loop.

JackPiner wrote:
MikeDi wrote:

After enjoying a broken foot in the last scrambles, this is more my speed too at least for the remainder of the year.

Both bikes are sweet in their own special way.
That 400 makes you feel like you can do no wrong. Like riding a couch.
The 500 will remind you when you get too heavy on the throttle without enough traction to keep the wheels in line.
More aggressive tires would help but they would have been half cooked at the end of the ride.
The TKC80s had just broken the edge after 110 miles.
Need to figure out the intent of the ride beforehand.
The bikes are very versatile and can be adapted to any situation with a few tweaks like bigger tanks or tail racks/bags etc.
they’d be great for backcountry moto camping with some rackless luggage.

Post Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm

My Transalp is always ready to go places it shouldn't.

Return to Adventure and Dual Sport