Board index Health & Fitness What are you doing to prepare for 2016 race season?

What are you doing to prepare for 2016 race season?

Get off the couch! A place to discuss health, fitness, and riding training tips.

This is one thing I have been trying to figure out for 2016 because last season I thought I was in shape and literally thought I was going to die after the first lap at Tuxedo Ridge LOL. It took me about a little over half the season to get my cardio up to where I was able to keep an ok pace. I've been big into weight lifting for about 6 years now and I know it has minimal benefit when it comes to racing dirt bikes so I have been cutting back a little bit on the weights and started focusing on my cardio and endurance.

After Stateline HS I made B250 and it was a rude awakening lol. So, I am preparing now for 2016 and I plan on racing a ton this year. HS's, Netra Enduros, The Netra "test" Sprint Enduros, JDay Sprint Enduros and select JDay GP's.

I know its not all Fitness and a lot of it has to do with riding your dirt bike better... So if anyone has any cool training tips and riding tips or drills it would be cool to see what other riders and racers are doing to get ready.

Also Excited for the Snow Run endure and depending on weather conditions I know it could be a tough one

:twothumbs: :twothumbs: :twothumbs:
2016 KTM 250XCW, 2004 Sherco 290

ZowaOptics, Acerbis, RYNO POWER, Engine Ice, Twin Air, Sunstar Sprocket & Chain, ProShotCam

Stop by the CrossFit RedZone booth at the banquet. :thumbsup:

You kind of answered your own question, back down on the heavy weight lifting and ramp up your cardio training.

Running is great, and FREE! But not everybody can run because of injuries etc.
Bicycling (mountain or road) is probably the greatest cardio training you can do, especially for dirt bike racing. Very low impact and great fun, especially with a group. Do 2 or 3 hours on a bicycle 2 or 3 days a week and you will see your cardio on the dirt bike improve a lot.

Rowing machine
Ride On.

Ride - a lot - without stopping / heavy drinking instead of lifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NETRA 4354
Comp rep for CATRA

Crash wrote:
Ride - a lot - without stopping / heavy drinking instead of lifting

Heavy drinking LOL

ZowaOptics, Acerbis, RYNO POWER, Engine Ice, Twin Air, Sunstar Sprocket & Chain, ProShotCam

Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

I bought a brand new "Used" elliptical and have been using that every night. Cost me $400 for a $1200 Machine. It's a good work out for cardio or weight loss during the winter months.

Nice we can still ride!

NETRA 4354
Comp rep for CATRA

I'd love to hear from the NE guys that go down to FL for the opening round of the GNCC. I find that feat impressive! Do you guys ride all winter, or do you have some sadistic cardio routine that you do all winter??? :-)

Did it last year for the gnccs - go to FL and ride Croom then do the race then go back to Croom or do MX or go to the beach LOL then go to Durhamtown or right to the next Gncc in GA

NETRA 4354
Comp rep for CATRA

patsfan wrote:
I'd love to hear from the NE guys that go down to FL for the opening round of the GNCC. I find that feat impressive! Do you guys ride all winter, or do you have some sadistic cardio routine that you do all winter??? :-)

You try to do as much as you can here but in reality IMO you just try to go down there and have fun. Your hands are usually soft, your not in riding shape, the sun is blazing and your body is not used to sweating and oh yea....your riding miles of sand whoops that your N.E. suspension is NOT set up for. But it's always better than shoveling snow! :twothumbs:

This is the first winter I've ever actually ridden and it is keeping me in great race shape! What I've been doing is ill pick a loop or trail that's pretty long like a HS length and ride it about 85-90% race speed for an hour or hour and a half then after that I'll do some fun trail riding. Oh and I've been doing some torturous cardio during the week! I remember tuxedo ridge this past season and I though I was in shape LOL I was wrong! Not letting that happen for 2016!

I've been bouncing between a rowing machine (got a Concept II off CL for cheap) and mountain biking. My Saturday morning routine is to run 5k+ before the family is up. Sunday will be ride or race day.

I also "slip" off my good weather routine and find myself in rough shape come spring - my plan is to "improve" is to row 3 days/week in the morning before work (or maybe in the evening, it's currently be in the AM). Then on Tuesday and Thursday ride mt bike at lunchtime - maybe more than two days if I can swing it - and luckily we have some really good/technical trails right out of the parking lot where I'm at in Exeter, NH.

I also realized I need to focus on cardio and endurance - being about 20 lbs over where I need to be doesn't help either - but working on that.

IMHO riding your dirtbike is the absolute best workout you can do, but my situation is I can't ride every day anyway due to lack of land access (someday the plan is own a piece of property where I can have my own track in the backyard) So my mode is if I can get to a state where I ride my mt bike at a solid pace for 2+ hrs - that should get me to where I want to be. Currently at 1 to 1.5 hrs riding now and I feel good.

I will say for 2015 I did way more vintage racing, and I found that after those races, (on a "toned-down" track, and they are 1 hour + 1 lap), I wasn't beat up or sore at all. When doing an afternoon NETRA race for 2+ hours (even on a nice, well tuned modern bike) I'm limping and sore for ~2 days after !

My goal is to feel well after the afternoon race (similar to how I feel after a vintage race) I think I can get there, but it takes discipline.

Good Luck !
Steve

MVTR

jsc
C Class Poster

been doing Cross Fit 4 x a week. now that the spring is here gonna start the MT biking on weekends when not riding or doing trail work.

I am switching from regular Häagen-Dazs to frozen yogurt Häagen-Dazs. Is that enough to get me ready?

Secretary, NETRA BOD
NETRA BoD

You are NETRA!

This was my "plan B", but thinking I should make this "plan A" instead - with the added benefit that it'll be a wicked huge timesaver !!

Tony wrote:
I am switching from regular Häagen-Dazs to frozen yogurt Häagen-Dazs. Is that enough to get me ready?

Secretary, NETRA BOD
Steve

MVTR

Four months off to heal, do 1/2 lap at j-day two more monthes to heal .
This season will not start off good and everyone else sounds like there in top shape..
:thumbsup:

Todd, if I had to guess, you and I are probably in similar condition.

Hope your all healed up, and I'm sure you'll be back on top in no time !
Steve

MVTR

If I could get my hands on a decent rowing machine I'd be so happy

jsc
C Class Poster

CATRArider156 wrote:

all the Cross Fits are buying them up and the prices on CL for machines collecting dust are expensive as a result. we cant all steal one like Steve did.

I did steal this one - it's a Concept II, but old Model B - works great. $200 - just lucked onto it on CL, saw it pop up, emailed the folks and they said I was one of many people that responded, but they said if you can come get it now - then I could have it.

So off I went.

I think the used concept II prices are just about what you'd pay for a new one. They are worth the cash if you use it !

jsc wrote:
CATRArider156 wrote:

all the Cross Fits are buying them up and the prices on CL for machines collecting dust are expensive as a result. we cant all steal one like Steve did.
Steve

MVTR

a rower, pull up bar, kettlebell and a few free weights and I wouldn't even have to step into the gym anymore!

Not much more I can have a brand new one delivered to your door.......

Harris has been working on a plan for a CrossFit type personal training program that he can basically do remotely. Looks like it would require the prospective client to either travel to him, or for him to travel to them for the initial few sessions to get started. Then you could probably get away with a monthly visit along with some video chatting after that. There would also need to be some sort of an equipment investment from the client. Nothing crazy, but you would need some stuff depending on the programing. This is still in the planning stages, and is also sort of based on interest. If anybody thinks this might be something you are willing to try, let me know.

John Schreiner
Harrison Schreiner

Next

Return to Health & Fitness