Board index General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber Trials Knox Vintage Trials Sat. June 20, 2015

Knox Vintage Trials Sat. June 20, 2015

A place for those crazy dudes who ride dirt bikes with no seats!

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:29 am

Knox Vintage Trials
Saturday June 20, 2015 1:30 PM
Registration opens at 1:00 PM
60 Cold Spring Road, Southampton MA
Ride and dinner $20, dinner for non-riders $10, No membership required.

Vintage means Pre-1990 trials bikes for competition. A, B, and C lines, 8 sections, 2+ mile loop.
Kids under 16 welcome on modern bikes and ride for free.
Modern bikes welcome on the 2+ mile loop or ride sections after 5PM.
Dinner/Awards from 5-6 PM, sections will remain open till dark.
For more info contact Tom Dussault 413-788-9084 or hoboarchery@yahoo.com
If you know you are coming please RSVP so we can plan food, thanks.
Come early and watch the NETRA Pee wee races.
8 Checkers needed and will eat for free.

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:27 am

I only need 4 more checkers. Who is coming to ride?

I plan to be there Tom. Hopefully with another rider.

Great the weather is looking nice so far. Tom

I am getting some yes RSVPs 5 CATRA riders coming out.

Bad news. Won't be able to make it to the Knox Trials. Been looking forward to this one. But my youngest's High School graduation is this weekend. Knew it was coming up, but forgot what day. DOHH!
Sorry Tom. Take lots of pics.

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:10 pm

Well that is too bad Gordon that you are busy. I have been getting RSVP yes calls all week and it should be a fun event. Right now I have 15 confirmed and I am hoping for a handful or more of walk ins. A couple guys said they were busy and wanted to know about the next one. Should I tell them about your awesome event? Thanks Tom D.

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to put on the event, it was my first trials event and I had a good time, I'll definitely be back for more.

Thanks, I am glad you had fun. It was a lot of work, but also rewarding giving back. There are a few other good vintage trials coming up. The next one is the Friday before the world round July 24th. Tom

That was a fun event, even though I got my first taste of scoring a Trials Check (#8). There were so many riders out there, willing to take 3 or 4 shots at the 8 Checks, per loop that it was interesting watching the different riders tackle C, B or A Sections. I was quietly cheering every rider on, hoping that they would "ZERO" the Check. Even though all the bikes were "Vintage" (older than 1990), it was amazing how well these bikes could be ridden to navigate some pretty tough sections. I saw Montessa, Bultaco, Honda TL125 & TLR200, Yamaha TY250, Suzuki RL250 and a few more makes out there having a blast. Now my son & I are looking for a Trials bike to see if we can hone our skills. Great job to all 20 competitors this past Saturday! Hats off to Tom and all the Volunteers from Knox Trail Riders to make this event happen. Looking forward to seeing some of these same riders in Rhode Island on July 24th!
01 Honda CR250R/06 Yamaha YZ250/16 Beta Evo 300
SuperSenior "B" = 3rd Overall - 2015 NETRA Enduros
Senior "INT" = 7th Overall - 2016 NETA MotoTrials

I wanted to add another Thank you to the riders that came out to ride this event. I know my Brother Tom spent quite a few Thursday evenings getting the sections mapped out. Also thanks to the checkers that helped out the day of the event without you there is no event. I was pumped for the guys when I heard 20 participants that attended the event.
Great Job To All Involved!!!
Dave
PS I was part of the morning crew and the peewee HS was also packed great job.

I had two firsts for me at this event. Worked the scoring barrel for the first race ( had no clue what I was doing but was coached through it! Thanks to the guys at the barrels who helped me). Second was my first trials event ever. I volunteered and checked at section three. Again having little clue what I was doing, everyone was very polite and helpful and every competitor thanked me for checking. Great event!

Next Vintage trials will be on a Friday afternoon before the world rounds on July 24th. Find a bike and come play with us. Tom

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:59 am

Yes, there will be a Vintage Trials on Friday, starting at 4:00. We will be using some of the same loop trail as the World Round. I know some of you netra folks have Vintage Trials bikes. This will be an event not to be missed. There will also be a Vintage Trials Bike Show on Saturday and Sunday, where you can show off your bike. Both the Trials and the Bike Show will have Trophies and be scored. Entry information below.

VINTAGE TRIALS AND BIKE SHOW

VINTAGE TRIALS EVENT ON FRIDAY, JULY 24, 2015 @ 4pm
Before the FIM World Championship Trials at the Steppingstone Ranch
Trophies will be awarded!
VINTAGE TRIALS BIKE SHOW ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, JULY 25 & 26
2 day Vintage bike display in the Paddock during the 2015 FIM Trials World Championship
Trophies will be awarded!
THE TRIALS EVENT AND SHOW WILL FEATURE VINTAGE COMPETITION TRIALS MOTORCYCLES FROM THE TWINSHOCK AND EARLIER ERA. ALL VINTAGE TRIALS MAKES AND MODELS ARE WELCOME.
More Info and to pre-enter goto: www.WTC2015USA.COM
Event location: 201 Escoheag Hill Rd., West Greenwich, RI 02817
Sponsored by the Rhode Island Trials Club

ENTRY FORM FOR THE VINTAGE TRIALS EVENT
Friday July 24, 2015 @4PM
Steppingstone Ranch

AMA # _______________EXP. DATE_____________ DATE OF BIRTH (MM/DD/YEAR)_____________ AGE________
NAME_________________________________________________________________________________________
ADDRESS_____________________________________ CITY___________________ STATE_______ ZIP__________
PHONE______________________________EMAIL____________________________________________________
EMERGENCY CONTACT:__________________________________________________PHONE: __________________
RELATIONSHIP: ______________________
3 Classes and 3 Lines
A Line-Expert, B Line-Intermediate, C Line-Novice
A, B, C must be on number plate in 2” Letters
CLASS # CLASS INDICATE 'EXPERT', 'INTERMEDIATE', OR 'NOVICE' YEAR BRAND DISPLACEMENT CC
1 Prehistoric - 1971 and older
2 Historic - 1972 through 1979
3 Classic - 1980 and newer twin shock and drum brake

All pre-entries must be in on or before the 10th of July. Riders are eligible to enter only one class.
PRE-ENTRY FEE: $20; POST ENTRY FEE: $30.
• The event begins at 4:00PM
• Rider’s Meeting at 3:30PM
• Check-in from 2:00PM to 3:30PM

ENTRY FORM FOR THE VINTAGE TRIALS BIKE SHOW
Saturday and Sunday July 25 & 26 2015 Gates open at 8am
Steppingstone Ranch – World Round Paddock
201 Escoheag Hill Rd., West Greenwich, RI 02817
Entry is free!
Bikes will be in a secure area, bike owner is responsible to secure/lock individual bike.
Trophies will be passed out Saturday night 5pm
Awards
Best of show
Best Japanese
Best European
Best pre-65

NAME_________________________________________________________________________________________
ADDRESS_____________________________________ CITY___________________ STATE_______ ZIP__________
PHONE______________________________EMAIL____________________________________________________
Year, Make, Model:__________________________________________________

I plan to ride on Friday and enter my bike in the show. I might even wash the mud off it. Ride em, don't hide em!

Can you tell us what to expect as far as the difficulty of the sections? Will these be more like the A, B, & C lines in an expert section at a NETA event or more like a Novice section?

The Trials at the World Round will be set up a little differently than my own Trials. We only have 2-1/2 hours to run the Trials. There will be 3 loops of 8 sections. The sections will be laid out with A, B and C lines; A being the most difficult. They will certainly not be like the Expert sections at an NETA event. They will be more like the Novice A, B and C lines we used to have at NETA before they split up the classes, to avoid back ups at sections.
I have all 8 sections figured out and have ridden all three lines. It's going to be a lot of fun and challenging. Get there early and check out some sections to decide what line you will be comfortable with.

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Any chance of someone with a more modern Trials bike (2001 Beta 250 REV-3) could enter the Vintage Trials event for fun? I know NETRA offers a "Sportsman" class in Hare Scrambles for fun (no Championship points). It would be fun to try riding through the Vintage Trials sections; even if I only have a bike that doesn't fit the "vintage twin rear shock" configuration, or Pre-1990 as was advertised for last Saturday's Fun Trials event.

Sorry, This event will be Vintage bikes only.

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Gord wrote:
Sorry, This event will be Vintage bikes only.

I understand. Do you need any scorers for Checkpoints? I can probably help out scoring, if needed for either the July 24th or August 9th Trials events.

I'm okay with waiting until another NewEnglandTrials.com NETA Trials event comes up. My son & I are looking forward to gaining some experience & anxious to practice at any open courses reasonably close to central Connecticut. I've heard the old "Cannondale" location in Bethel has an area where Trials riders frequent on Friday evenings. Any other locations that current Trials riders care to share?

Looking at the NETA rulebook, it seems that Newbie's can enter "NOVICE C" to start out, and most of the clases are "self-promoting". For an older rider, there seems to be more classes such as "SENIOR C (NOV C)", "SENIOR B (SR B)" or "SENIOR INTERMEDIATE (SR INT)". There is also the "VINTAGE B (VIN B)" as a motorcycle specific class (limited to trials bikes with two (2) rear shock absorbers, air-cooled engines and drum brakes (front and rear).

Personally, I think it's probably easier and more economical to find a more modern Trials bike to play with (and keep running) unless someone has a lead on a Vintage Trials bike for reasonable money.

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:51 pm

Yes, I need checkers for both events. Thank you for offering.
I would say a Modern bike would be easier to learn on. And NETA has a great system going for learners. At this point in the season, you have no interest in year end points. You could show up at an event and check out all the sections, to see what they are like. Then ride the C line in some and the B line in others. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Return to Trials