Board index The Extra Bolt Garage 2017 wr250 suspension

2017 wr250 suspension

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:48 pm
Who in new england does the best job on suspension. A pal bought a used wr, and its like new, and likes the power,but cant adjust the suspension with any good results. Hes about to go back to his trusty xr400 he is so disappointed. Does suspension need to be sent out,or can he do something with it himself. He was a class c junior and rode hare scrambles for a few years,is an excellent all around rider,just sayin. He rode part of todays run in New Hampshire and quit,his bike sucked and his son in law put dot tires on his new kawasaki and had problems with traction on his.

Post Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:37 am

He should be able to dial in that bike as good if not better than the XR400. If bike has stock springs and he is heavier than 175 pounds, the first thing I would do is put in springs that are for his weight - this will make a huge difference. Then he will need to set the rear sag. Put clickers back to stock position.

Changing springs is not hard, but if you have never done any wrenching on a bike you might find it to be too much of a task. Plenty on here can walk you through it or take it to a bike shop.

My other advice is you have to do BOTH front and back, doing one end is pointless. You could take off forks and shocks and send out to Factory Connection or other suspension shop, but a full suspension job will probably cost $1,000. Springs only are about $300.
Ride On.

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 am

Take Dave's advise, go back to stock settings or neutral on the clickers. Bleed whatever air out of the forks and check if the preload on the front and back springs is correct. You don't know what the prior owner used for settings.

fishon401 wrote:
He should be able to dial in that bike as good if not better than the XR400. If bike has stock springs and he is heavier than 175 pounds, the first thing I would do is put in springs that are for his weight - this will make a huge difference. Then he will need to set the rear sag. Put clickers back to stock position.

Changing springs is not hard, but if you have never done any wrenching on a bike you might find it to be too much of a task. Plenty on here can walk you through it or take it to a bike shop.

My other advice is you have to do BOTH front and back, doing one end is pointless. You could take off forks and shocks and send out to Factory Connection or other suspension shop, but a full suspension job will probably cost $1,000. Springs only are about $300.

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:54 pm

I had done a complete set up for a customer with this exact bike.i instsalled stiffer springs and that helped greatly. but after some time on it I sent it to WER for complete re-valve. That made a huge difference and really made the bike perform better. nothing compares to a revalve..

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:13 pm
he said hes sending out suspension for revalve etc. The rear shock dampening adjuster doesnt seem to change anything,like a pogo no matter how much he sets it,min to max doesnt seem to affect make a difference.

Return to The Extra Bolt Garage