Board index The Extra Bolt Garage Lowering KTM 250 XC

Lowering KTM 250 XC

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:43 am
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Posts: 720
Does anyone have any experience with lowering links on a 2017-2018 KTM 250 XC? Don't know what route to go, lowering links or internal spacers.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Posts: 1209
DON'T use a lowering link.. Totally screws up the linkage ratio. Spacers is the way to go. Any have decent tuner should be able to do it for you with an oil change or normal service.
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:57 pm
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Posts: 720
Right now I have a low seat on it and am going to see if I can ride it like that. Probably going to need a revalve anyway seeing it was set up for one Flying Frenchman

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Posts: 663
I have a friend who has had several
Bikes lowered. Agree that the lowering links are not the way to go.

Depending on how much you need an easy route is to use the z-bolt bushing that would replace your heim joint, then just raise your forks in the triple clamp to equalize.

But if you are going for a revalve the added cost to put in spacers is minimal.
Ride On.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:02 pm

Posts: 133
I had my 2007 300 lowered with the spacers and I hated the way it handled. I took them out and it was much better. Just gotta find a tree when I need to get on or off the bike! Lol!!!
AMA
NETRA #4073
PSTR #471
2007 ktm 300xc
1983 ktm 250 mxc
1984 ktm 495mx
1984 ktm 125
1985 ktm 125
1986 ktm 125
1988 ktm 125
1994 Honda xr80r

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Posts: 720
I've had my last 5 bikes lowered, just trying to find the easist route. I usually lower them an inch (1 inch Spacer) but I'm trying to find the cheapest way out. You know typical Yankee enduro rider, cheap.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Posts: 1209
Dan wrote:
I've had my last 5 bikes lowered, just trying to find the easist route. I usually lower them an inch (1 inch Spacer) but I'm trying to find the cheapest way out. You know typical Yankee enduro rider, cheap.



I saw somewhere someone made an external spacer for the rear shock, you depressurize it, push the seal head in, remove the snap ring, add the spacer and put the snap ring back and represurize it.

For the forks I'd just move them up in the clamp to match the shock. You don't ride fast enough to bottom them on anything. LOL
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Posts: 192
The cheapest & easiest is going to be the links. I used the Kouba link on my 2012 XC and it didn't seem to handle too horribly bad for my blazing 55+ B speed :)
if I remember it was the one that lowered .75"

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Posts: 94
I have a lowering link that came on my YZ 250 when I bought it and it's probably the best handling bike I have ever ridden.
Netra# 4012

Post Wed May 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Posts: 663
slojo wrote:
The cheapest & easiest is going to be the links. I used the Kouba link on my 2012 XC and it didn't seem to handle too horribly bad for my blazing 55+ B speed :)
if I remember it was the one that lowered .75"


The x bushing and z bolt will lower 3/4" too. Also gives you a heim joint you can lube. They are $90 new versus about $180 for the lowering links. I'm pretty sure I have one new in box that I would sell for $40 if you are interested.
Ride On.

Post Thu May 02, 2019 7:48 am
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Posts: 720
Bike is an XC not XC-W so it has a linkage not PDS. I'm going to have to ride it if it ever stops raining and things get a chance to dry out. Right now i have no idea how it's going to ride other than I think it'll probably be stiff seeing it was Gilles Hare Scramble bike.

Post Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Posts: 94
The x bushing and z bolt will lower 3/4" too


FWIW, I believe Synergy Seals (who makes the X Bushing) is out of business

Post Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Posts: 367
Location: Upstate NY
Dan wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with lowering links on a 2017-2018 KTM 250 XC? Don't know what route to go, lowering links or internal spacers.
Dan did u lower the XC? I had Pro Cycles lower mine 2013 XC 2 inches using a race tech kit that includes new springs for both forks and a progressive spring in the shock. It's a big change from what I'm used to. Also I finally changed out my seat from a low to a reg hight softy and really like that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
NETRA 4354

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:53 am
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Posts: 720
Crash wrote:
Dan wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with lowering links on a 2017-2018 KTM 250 XC? Don't know what route to go, lowering links or internal spacers.
Dan did u lower the XC? I had Pro Cycles lower mine 2013 XC 2 inches using a race tech kit that includes new springs for both forks and a progressive spring in the shock. It's a big change from what I'm used to. Also I finally changed out my seat from a low to a reg hight softy and really like that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Just rode the bike for the first time Sunday, took the suspension off yesterday and will be dropping it off at Manchester Honda to have Eric put in Racetech valving and have it lowered an inch. First thing I did when I bought the bike was put the low seat on it. The 2017 have the AER air forks so no front springs.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:59 am

Posts: 367
Location: Upstate NY
Good ok let us know how the 1 inch kit goes. 2 inches is alot! But it has helped me prevent tip overs in technical stoppers and that saves alot of energy. 3 Enduro events so far on it. I believe I have lost some plushness due to the reduced travel in low speed terrian. In higher speed stuff the progressive springs seem to work well - even big whoops. The bike is more forgiving now lowered.


Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
NETRA 4354


Return to The Extra Bolt Garage

cron