Board index The Extra Bolt Garage trickle chargers

trickle chargers

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 am

Any electrical gurus know if it is ok to run multiple batteries off of one trickle charger, or do you need to run one charger per battery? Ive got 4 small-ish bike batteries and one car-size deep cell camper battery.
Ride On.

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 pm

The tender is going to try and maintain a certain voltage (I forget what it is) and if those batteries vary in age and condition the lowest voltage battery is going to pull on the other batteries to maintain a level voltage across everything connected. If that level is below the tenders threshold voltage it will constantly try to charge everything to a rate that won't be achievable.

Another issue with tenders is they tend to use up the electrolyte in vented batteries over time. SO if any one of the connected batteries is vented it will lose voltage over time and drain all the batteries in line with it.

I'm not saying it can't be done but just letting you know some of the issues with trying to make it work.
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks, I'll just go with the individual chargers, they are not that much.
Ride On.

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 am

:thumbsup: Gotta love having Engineers on staff!

450exc115 wrote:
The tender is going to try and maintain a certain voltage (I forget what it is) and if those batteries vary in age and condition the lowest voltage battery is going to pull on the other batteries to maintain a level voltage across everything connected. If that level is below the tenders threshold voltage it will constantly try to charge everything to a rate that won't be achievable.

Another issue with tenders is they tend to use up the electrolyte in vented batteries over time. SO if any one of the connected batteries is vented it will lose voltage over time and drain all the batteries in line with it.

I'm not saying it can't be done but just letting you know some of the issues with trying to make it work.

Return to The Extra Bolt Garage