Board index The Extra Bolt Garage studding tires

studding tires

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 am

i can get my hands on a gun what are thr best place to buy studs and what tire set up.

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Not that I want to discourage you in making tires but what you pay for in tires and studs is basically what they cost from either Mike or Kevin Cycle (Mike's last long FYI). If you want to make a car stud tire for frozen ground then that is a different story.

Having studded a few tires I'd rather pay someone for the 20-30 bucks you save. :omg:
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:19 pm

If you want to stud your own, here's were I bought them in the past:

http://www.brunowessel.com/
Member, NETRA Board of Directors
Pres., Pathfinders M/C

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Its a bit of an art to get them to sit correctly, as well as a PITA. But if you have the $800 gun, and have time on your hands go for it.
Ride On.

Post Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Gripstuds.com, check them out. No gun needed and you can reuse them. Not trying to take away from mike or Kevin's but if you like to do your own these are the way to go
Pres. CT Ramblers

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:50 am

Bruno Wessel is a the place to get studs and the tools. Dont let the nay sayers discourage you from building your own tires. You will have some fails on installing and tire choices but in the long run you will have satisfaction that you cannot purchase. I have multiple sets for my dirt bikes that get swapped depending on conditions. Different tire selections and stud lengths and have studded tires for my adventure bikes for some fun dirt road ripping when the snow is too deep for little bikes.

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:58 am

did it once back in the day, never do it again. Just buy them, save yourself the aggravation.

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Pretty sure studding tires is the worst dirt bike experience ever.

What a mess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:57 pm

NYKTM wrote:

What a mess...

Agree, over the years have made multiple sets of tires for myself, car studs, rally studs and full friction spikes. Absolutely hate the task of making a set for myself and you couldn't pay me enough to make a set for someone else.

Post Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:18 pm

BigRed460 wrote:
NYKTM wrote:

What a mess...

Agree, over the years have made multiple sets of tires for myself, car studs, rally studs and full friction spikes. Absolutely hate the task of making a set for myself and you couldn't pay me enough to make a set for someone else.

I guess I am in the minority here as I dont mind making my own tires. Would never do it for any one else because I dont want to hear any complaints. My wife does think I have a tire fetish because I get so excited about building another set. Just received another order from Bruno Wessel today and she commented that it was just like xmas for me.

Return to The Extra Bolt Garage