Board index The Extra Bolt Garage Chain Lube Test

Chain Lube Test

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:22 am

Back in the 1970's during my riding years, I rode dirt bikes with my friend and his father who both rode Bultaco's. His father use to buy 90w gear oil and empty out 1/2 the bottle and mix 1/2 gas/oil mixture for chain lube. He figured the gas would thin out the oil while applying, then the gas would evaporate while leaving the thick oil in and outside the chain rollers.
It was his formula anyways.
:thumbsup:
NETRA Member #29355

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:28 pm

I use the Maxima chain wax and never see any cast-off spray when you follow the directions and let it dry before use - unlike what's shown in the video
NETRA BoD, President

You are NETRA!

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:45 pm

I used to use the chain wax too. If you let it dry it does not fling off, but it did collect dirt between the links.

Post Wed May 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Tony wrote:
I use the Maxima chain wax and never see any cast-off spray when you follow the directions and let it dry before use - unlike what's shown in the video

Same here, although with o-ring / x-ring sealed chains, I often wonder if we are wasting money with chain lubes? Even when dry they attract a lot of dirt that then acts like a file on the sprockets.
Ride On.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

fishon401 wrote:
Tony wrote:

Same here, although with o-ring / x-ring sealed chains, I often wonder if we are wasting money with chain lubes? Even when dry they attract a lot of dirt that then acts like a file on the sprockets.
Ya I wonder with o ring if not needed anyone test it ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
NETRA 4354

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 am

I haven't run anything on my chains in nearly 20 years. After washing I just WD40 it and get the water out. Usually get a season on a X-ring on anything smaller than a 450. My 450 I use to run the more expensive DID X-ring to get a full year out of it. I really like the primary drive gold x-ring and run them on my vintage stuff without issue. This year I'm running the YZ465 which has power similar to my 450 so I'm interested to see how it holds up..
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1974 MT250, 1977 MX3, 1977 RM/TS 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 YZ465, 90 RM125, 90 CRM250

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:59 pm

lube.jpg
lube.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 447 times
after I wash the chain with wd40 and a grunge brush, I hose off all the dirt, spray again with wd40 (or like product) then put away. I lube with chain wax before I ride. once a month I will lube the clean chain with renthal chain lube, then wax over that. I get a year out of a chain by doing this...on a 4fiddy :shock

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:39 pm

450exc115 wrote:
I haven't run anything on my chains in nearly 20 years. After washing I just WD40 it and get the water out. Usually get a season on a X-ring on anything smaller than a 450. My 450 I use to run the more expensive DID X-ring to get a full year out of it. I really like the primary drive gold x-ring and run them on my vintage stuff without issue. This year I'm running the YZ465 which has power similar to my 450 so I'm interested to see how it holds up..

Did the same for as long as I can remember on o-ring & o-ring. Wash the bike, spray on wd40. Chains would last a season of offroad racing & riding.

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm sure Maxima would win that comparo if he had let it dry as instructed. I put that $h1t on everything! except ringed chains. I never lube them and always have great chain life, even when my bikes aren't sitting collecting dust.
Valves are STILL for toilets!

Return to The Extra Bolt Garage