Board index General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber Adventure and Dual Sport Dual sport bikes

Dual sport bikes

Big bikes and long hikes. Where's your big bike taking you today?

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Well, every year I get the urge for a dual sport type bike. I had a KTM450xcw that I replaced with a 250xc and miss having a bike set up for tooling around town. It was a 2008 and i think that motor had defects.
Truth is I don't really want a resto bike, but more turn key.
I've never ridden any of these so i'm just going by feel.
I'm liking the XR600. but no battery, unless I install something.
the xr650L? does it handle?
DRZ,,,,, not really a Zuke guy
YZ WR, only a 250..
KTM 500,, well no way I'm spending $10k, plus they scare me when it comes to longevity.

comments?

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:39 am

There are plenty of KLR650s out there in great shape and reasonably priced. They won't rip like the bikes you mentioned but they are very reliable and a great dual sport IMO. They easily handle something like the Pachaug dual sport/ADV loop and are awesome around town. You'll pass a lot of gas stations with the 6 gallon tank too [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my DirtBike using Tapatalk

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:26 pm

TBone wrote:
There are plenty of KLR650s out there in great shape and reasonably priced. They won't rip like the bikes you mentioned but they are very reliable and a great dual sport IMO. They easily handle something like the Pachaug dual sport/ADV loop and are awesome around town. You'll pass a lot of gas stations with the 6 gallon tank too [THUMBS UP SIGN]

That was one of my choices too. Basically same bike for many years.
Ride On.

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 pm

once you've removed all the garbage from an XR650L, they're great machines.
obviously they're still making them so parts aren't an issue.
dead-reliable Honda motor..
if you're a bigger guy ;) then the bike's size and weight shouldn't be an issue. especially compared to a KLR..
super bikes once they're set up.

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 pm

I keep coming back to the XR. by bigger guy, do you mean height or width?

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:05 pm

MikeDi wrote:
I keep coming back to the XR. by bigger guy, do you mean height or width?

WAY more dirt worthy than the KLR for sure but, arguably, less versatile.

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:14 pm

The XR that Jackpiner is referring to is the electric start "L" model with the old school air cooled engine. They have good lights and a great torquey motor with tall gearing that makes for endless power wheelies.....something to consider when shopping for a DS bike. Personally, I like a bike with enough motor to paint a black stripe, loft the front end with ease, and powerslide around big sweepers. It just makes you smile. My DS is a nearly stock XR650R (kick start, water cooled desert sled) and even though the lights suck (with a DS kit for blinkers) and it needs to be kick started (I have only stalled it on the street once or twice and had to push frantically out of traffic to kick it back to life), inevitably, every time I ride the bike be it a law abiding (yeah right! Be careful, you will be tempted to be stupid too) backroad wheelie laden blast or even a solo romp through technical Enduro singletrack, I ALWAYS end the day with "I have fun every time I ride this bike!" Must be why I have owned if for 15 years.

All that said, the "L" is a better on-road bike, though not a nimble while the "R" is off-road only and not as easily plated. One more thing about the "L"..... they are sky scraper tall. Like I can barely touch the ground with both feet at a tip-toe and I'm kinda leggy. The good news is, for short money a lowering link is available and a very common mod.

The best DS bike on the market today?? IMO, the Yamaha WR250R. Not the F which is essentially a YZ with lights and different mapping, the "R" is a purpose built DS that came out around 2009 and very, very dirtworthy while capable of serious road speeds without floating valves. Really a great package that is unchanged to date (I believe) so buying even a first year WR-R is not settling for an outdated bike. I might know "a guy" who has one that could be had....

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks Rich, I'd like to ride the WR. Do I know "your guy" ?

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:06 am

MikeDi wrote:
Thanks Rich, I'd like to ride the WR. Do I know "your guy" ?

I had a WR250R a few years ago. Fantastic suspension, great handling. A bit whimpy until you wake her up with a pipe. Downside was the clutch - it has a lesser duty clutch than the F and YZ's but if you avoid Romaniacs-type stuff she works fine. I beat the heck out of a new one, sold it to a 275lb friend who trashed it for another year, but it always ran. Great if you can test ride one, as I f you plan on more road than dirt, you might wish you had more displacement.
Ride On.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 am

Beta has the new RS edition as well.....It is a full blown ready to road ride Dirt Bike.
Thanks
Dave

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:33 pm

It depends on what you want to do. Our group consists of big bike KTMs and BMWs along with KLR 650s and Drz 650 and 400. For what we do the 400 is a bit light on the road. We take alot of overnight trips and there will always be some bit of road. Other side is when things get tight the big bikes can be a chore. For all around use I think the 650 bikes are a good choice. You can stay with the big bikes on the road and still tackle single track fairly capably.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:31 pm

If I were to buy new, I'd consider the RS.

Bmrev01 wrote:
Beta has the new RS edition as well.....It is a full blown ready to road ride Dirt Bike.
Thanks
Dave

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 am

Comes ready to register, 6 month warranty, GPS and it is sexy!!

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 am

Bmrev01 wrote:
Comes ready to register, 6 month warranty, GPS and it is sexy!!

any on the floor so I could bounce on the seat and have a good look at it?
I wanted a rich uncle, but I got an Uncle Rich.

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:39 am

No but I had 2 RR Race edition at the show. They are the same bikes just missing the blinkers (front fork closed VS open) and the GPS. You are even welcome to try them out with an appointment. 390/430.

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:37 pm

Bmrev01 wrote:
No but I had 2 RR Race edition at the show. They are the same bikes just missing the blinkers (front fork closed VS open) and the GPS. You are even welcome to try them out with an appointment. 390/430.

And they were sweet looking machines.
Ride On.

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 pm

yep
Attachments
IMG_1366.JPG

Post Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:23 am

Them new beta rr bikes sure are sexy ! I was drooling over them at the banquet.

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 pm

CRF250X with all the street legal stuff installed:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1724

Has a keyed ignition switch for use around town. Really good trail bike as well. Best of both worlds. Honda should've made this bike in the first place.

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

I saw that bike. It's nice... but, some Swedish dame took all my money :omg:

Return to Adventure and Dual Sport