Board index All Things Vintage Looking for a vintage race bike

Looking for a vintage race bike

A place to relive, revive, and ride that "old iron".

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:11 pm

Posts: 464
Location: Latham, NY
I have been looking around a lot for a nice vintage racer for the 2016 season...

would like something that's pretty competitive and can rip pretty good. I'm only 25 so I'm a young buck and don't really know what is good and what is worth the money. But I come on here every day and learn something new from all the vintage guys.

kdx? xr? cr? rm? kx? ktm?

some bikes I have found around my area I just don't know whats worth the money and or if parts are available out there.

1983 dr 250 http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/5313758187.html

1986 kdx http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/5242045447.html

1989 kx 125 http://nwct.craigslist.org/mcy/5310873386.html

1987 kx 250 http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/5290571738.html

1982 xr 200 http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/5309288180.html

I would like something easy to maintain I don't know if that's realistic with the old bikes? haha but I would only be riding when racing a vintage event

any help would be awesome
2016 KTM 250XCW, 2004 Sherco 290

ZowaOptics, Acerbis, RYNO POWER, Engine Ice, Twin Air, Sunstar Sprocket & Chain, ProShotCam

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:11 pm

Posts: 663
I'm the least qualified to give advice but I would say look for a KDX, IT, or PE which would be in the EVO class (air cooled, drum brakes). These models seem to have good parts availability, are simple to work on, are reliable and have decent suspension. $800 - $1,300 range. The earlier KTMs are harder to find parts for, as every model year seemed to use different parts. XR200, would not call that a ripper, and you would be riding in a class of bikes that have much more competitive suspension. But hey, if a cheap XR200 was within reach, you would still have a blast.

Very cool that a young buck wants to get into vintage, could be a trend. My buddies 15 y.o. and his friend saw the KDX and IT that we are racing and they now want vintage bikes.
Ride On.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Posts: 383
I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Depends on what class you want to race in. The fun factor is pretty much the same. Of the choices given, I would go with the XR200, but only because I always wanted one and never had a 4 stroke, other than street bikes.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Posts: 459
From this list the KDX would be an excellent choice for NE woods racing. This bike will not let you down and parts are available. Some fast guys on here know how to maintain them also if you need tips.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Posts: 1207
How big are you and what do you currently ride?
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Posts: 923
dwarf66 wrote:
From this list the KDX would be an excellent choice for NE woods racing. This bike will not let you down and parts are available. Some fast guys on here know how to maintain them also if you need tips.




Hey! Some slow guys know how too! :aggr

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Posts: 464
Location: Latham, NY
I really appreciate everyone's input! I'll I'm feeling the kdx rout :beer
2016 KTM 250XCW, 2004 Sherco 290

ZowaOptics, Acerbis, RYNO POWER, Engine Ice, Twin Air, Sunstar Sprocket & Chain, ProShotCam

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Posts: 1588
The best option is the KDX
-Two stroke
Cheap to maintain
Light
Good brakes
parts available
re-sale value is good

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Posts: 1284
Location: Amherst, NH
FYI that '89 KX 125 is not an '89, it's an '87.

What ability class are you as well? If you plan to race/ride the KDX is a perfect bike, if you plan to rip it then I'd say look into one of the motocrossers. And are you leaning toward Retro or Evo class?
Steve

MVTR

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:28 pm
RM
B Class Poster

Posts: 486
CATRArider156 wrote:
I have been looking around a lot for a nice vintage racer for the 2016 season...

would like something that's pretty competitive and can rip pretty good. I'm only 25 so I'm a young buck and don't really know what is good and what is worth the money. But I come on here every day and learn something new from all the vintage guys.

kdx? xr? cr? rm? kx? ktm?

some bikes I have found around my area I just don't know whats worth the money and or if parts are available out there.

1983 dr 250 http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/5313758187.html

1986 kdx http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/5242045447.html

1989 kx 125 http://nwct.craigslist.org/mcy/5310873386.html

1987 kx 250 http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/5290571738.html

1982 xr 200 http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/5309288180.html

I would like something easy to maintain I don't know if that's realistic with the old bikes? haha but I would only be riding when racing a vintage event

any help would be awesome


I realize from your post that you're younger than most here but I would not limit yourself to just the evo and retro classes. A Vintage class bike can be just as cheap and fun racing in the series and depending on model parts are quite available. If you are dead set on one of the two bikes you listed that have valves. I would recommend the Honda over the DR.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:18 pm

Posts: 683
Buy a 39 year old four stroke that weighs 293lbs... Just sayin

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Posts: 683
Has anyone seen the 1976 cr125 on c/l ? Wants 2500 but its almost too nice to ride..

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Posts: 923
FATDADRACING wrote:
Has anyone seen the 1976 cr125 on c/l ? Wants 2500 but its almost too nice to ride..



No bike is too nice to ride, that's what they are for.

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Posts: 683
NiceImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:13 am

Posts: 1207
Here is the ultimate evo NETRA Vintage series race bike.

Someone buy this please.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5308405859.html
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Posts: 1588
You don't see too many in the states with blinkers unless he rigged it that way.
Buy it for $400 and you can freshen it up for around a grand total.



450exc115 wrote:
Here is the ultimate evo NETRA Vintage series race bike.

Someone buy this please.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5308405859.html

Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Posts: 1396
What do you ride in the modern series? What class do you ride?

Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Posts: 728
He has a new ktm 250 and runs a solid B class.

Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Posts: 1284
Location: Amherst, NH
If you're leaning towards retro - I recommend reading up on the bike that catches your attention.

Couple examples

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back ... 4-89-rm125

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back ... nda-cr250r

I happened onto my '89 RM 125 for cheap & it was a bike I always wanted when I was in high school - so got a chance to "re-live" my youth on it this past race season. Since you were born when the latest bike in the series qualifies for retro class, you may not have a bike preference due to nostalgia. Maybe start looking at one that draws your attention based on design/performance.

Based on your ability class may want a bike you can ride hard. i.e: CR vs. XL

What I do know is whatever bike you go with, it'll be a learning experience !

Good Luck in your search
Steve

MVTR

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 am

Posts: 176
..............and whatever you do dont buy something that needs a carb, and then order one from carbparts.com.

That CR250 on CL makes me want.
The oil soaked filter.

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:55 am

Posts: 94
If I had the coin I would be all over this. Nate, this would look good next to your 600.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5295546610.html
Netra# 4012

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:31 am

Posts: 383
FATDADRACING wrote:
Has anyone seen the 1976 cr125 on c/l ? Wants 2500 but its almost too nice to ride..


That bike is beautiful, but not too nice to ride. I just wouldn't race it in the netra series, as that low down pipe, on an already low suspension, would get crushed fast.

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Posts: 464
Location: Latham, NY
ktm4012 wrote:
If I had the coin I would be all over this. Nate, this would look good next to your 600.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5295546610.html


I would actually love to have this bike... What class would it fall into?
2016 KTM 250XCW, 2004 Sherco 290

ZowaOptics, Acerbis, RYNO POWER, Engine Ice, Twin Air, Sunstar Sprocket & Chain, ProShotCam

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Posts: 94
CATRArider156 wrote:
ktm4012 wrote:
If I had the coin I would be all over this. Nate, this would look good next to your 600.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5295546610.html


I would actually love to have this bike... What class would it fall into?


EVO I believe.
Netra# 4012

Next

Return to All Things Vintage