Board index All Things Vintage VINTAGE 2021

VINTAGE 2021

A place to relive, revive, and ride that "old iron".

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Will we or won't we...

NETRA 2021.jpg
NETRA 2021.jpg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 511 times

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:55 pm

I think it's great that you vintage guys have so many events. I'm just sad that the number of enduros is so small.
I realize the logistics of putting on an enduro are difficult. I'm just nostalgic for the days when your vintage bikes were new and NETRA had 20+ enduros a year. :(
I wanted a rich uncle, but I got an Uncle Rich.

Post Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 am

Good people those vintage folks.
Build a vintage bike, (by vintage 77 and older) maybe an old Bultaco or Husky.
Come out and race.
An hour plus one on an old bike will scratch that nostalgic itch. (or beat it out of you)
The satisfaction of restoring and racing, as well bench racing at its best.

Rocketman wrote:
I think it's great that you vintage guys have so many events. I'm just sad that the number of enduros is so small.
I realize the logistics of putting on an enduro are difficult. I'm just nostalgic for the days when your vintage bikes were new and NETRA had 20+ enduros a year. :(

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:25 am

Rocketman wrote:

I don't see any relationship between vintage races and enduro events. The enduro series has been shrinking in terms of both attendance and number of events for the better part of two decades, the vintage series just started a few years ago. I grew up riding enduros and most of my active racing career was in various enduro series, but that ship sailed a long time ago:
- Too much land use hassle to put together 60+ miles of trails
- Too many skilled volunteers (checkers) required
- Many riders can't or don't want to learn the ins and outs of timekeeping
- Going through all that work to have ~60-70 riders show up and lose money is a big ask for a club

That said, my club PSTR still does it most years as we have access to Freetown State Forest for most of the trail miles, but I get why most other clubs don't.
PSTR Vice President
NETRA Board Member
Vintage Junkie
"Look for me in the results, immediately above the DNF's"

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:39 am

Could anyone tell me, when was the last time an Enduro was held in Voluntown on the Pachaug 60 mile State Forest loop? I remember (many, many years ago) when I had to slow down and there was a traffic crossing attendant on the road stopping bikes b4 they crossed the main road, when I was heading to RI one day from Rte 165. I loved riding that loop back in the late 70's.

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:43 am

Central Cycle Club ran the "Broken Peg Enduro" back in 1998 or1999.Starting at their M/C club.The oldsters said it used to be a regular back in the old days.Rhody Rovers use most of the loop for their "Little Rhody" which I think is still being used.

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Burton wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

I don't see any relationship between vintage races and enduro events. The enduro series has been shrinking in terms of both attendance and number of events for the better part of two decades, the vintage series just started a few years ago. I grew up riding enduros and most of my active racing career was in various enduro series, but that ship sailed a long time ago:
- Too much land use hassle to put together 60+ miles of trails
- Too many skilled volunteers (checkers) required
- Many riders can't or don't want to learn the ins and outs of timekeeping
- Going through all that work to have ~60-70 riders show up and lose money is a big ask for a club

That said, my club PSTR still does it most years as we have access to Freetown State Forest for most of the trail miles, but I get why most other clubs don't.

No relationship intended, I'm just pining for the "good ole days"
I wanted a rich uncle, but I got an Uncle Rich.

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:32 pm
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Indaway wrote:
Central Cycle Club ran the "Broken Peg Enduro" back in 1998 or1999.Starting at their M/C club.The oldsters said it used to be a regular back in the old days.Rhody Rovers use most of the loop for their "Little Rhody" which I think is still being used.

Pachaug used to be a National back in the seventies.

Return to All Things Vintage