Board index All Things Vintage Remember when...

Remember when...

A place to relive, revive, and ride that "old iron".

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Webmaster wrote:
ktmglen wrote:
Huh, looks like my pics are gone? They were there just after I posted them and I thought they were there the day after too. Maybe too big? Weird.

No. They didn't work from the get-go.

they did for like a day...

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:09 pm

XRs_Mostly wrote:
Webmaster wrote:
ktmglen wrote:
Huh, looks like my pics are gone? They were there just after I posted them and I thought they were there the day after too. Maybe too big? Weird.

No. They didn't work from the get-go.

they did for like a day...

I edited your post, copied the URL, pasted it into my browser and get exactly what we see right now. The circled dash.

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:03 pm

The pics were there when I posted them, I went back about an hour after posting them and they were there. I believe they were there the day after I posted them also. Not sure why my post was edited but whatever.

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:50 pm

ktmglen wrote:
The pics were there when I posted them, I went back about an hour after posting them and they were there. I believe they were there the day after I posted them also. Not sure why my post was edited but whatever.

Glen,I know they were, because I was wondering if anyone who was running the harescrambles from the mid 80's until just a couple years ago DIDN'T have at least one picture and a story about Martin's water crossing.

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Indaway wrote:
ktmglen wrote:

Glen,I know they were, because I was wondering if anyone who was running the harescrambles from the mid 80's until just a couple years ago DIDN'T have at least one picture and a story about Martin's water crossing.

Yeah I don't know what happened but doesn't matter. As for stories about Martin's water crossing, I remember the first year I went to Martin's place, we had friends that lived in Union and knew Martin and asked him if we could go down and ride there. We got the go ahead and drove down and parked. As we were starting to get bikes unloaded we saw a pickup truck coming towards us at warp speed, the truck pulls up next to us and this guy jumps out and he's tearing us a new one for being there. After a few minutes he calms down and we explain who we are and why we're there. He looks at us and says " ok, next time stop at the house and let me know"! He then jumps into his truck and again at warp speed drives back to the house! I race the NETRA harescrambles from 1985 to 1989, Team Darkside Racing!

Post Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am

I got a kick out of this. Wasn't sure where to post it, but 'Remember when' seems like a good spot.
I had two of these when I was a kid. My kids had one of them when they were younger kids.
So I guess we're all set!!
Attachments
ATC.jpg

Post Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 am

So this is only 20 years back but...

Jackpiner out on his first year Honda RC51 (RVT1000) accompanied by my 1985 RZ500 :biggrin June 2000
Good fun ;)

first ride.jpg

Post Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:54 pm

Today IS 1985....again!

Husky Day 7 5 21.JPG

It was a shoot out day on the 3.2 mile test track. Interesting comparison between the 400 and 250 WR's. :beer

Post Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:58 pm

oldschool wrote:
Today IS 1985....again!

Husky Day 7 5 21.JPG

It was a shoot out day on the 3.2 mile test track. Interesting comparison between the 400 and 250 WR's. :beer

i would ride either, or both of those machines

Post Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:56 am

oldschool wrote:
Today IS 1985....again!

Husky Day 7 5 21.JPG

That WR 250 modified tank is a work of art! :thumbsup:

Post Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:52 pm

So today's action on the secret 3.2 mile test loop was;

Welcome to 1989 (again). Today the contenders were an '89 Kawasaki KX250. Low hour original survivor, takes on the '89 ATK 406.

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

KX250 was quite a surprise to me. This is a very good off-road motorcycle, even in factory stock trim. Nice linear powerband and very smooth, the big 46mm cartridge forks work well, and the (reworked) fork and shock combined with the chassis to just plain work. Nice all around package. Better then my modified '89 CR250e.

The 406 is just plain fun. Big bore air cooled, case reed motor. WP suspension at both ends still gets it done very nicely. It doesn't work very hard to make decent pace and doesn't wear me out with any surprises.

Then for the bonus round. jackpiner still needed some break in time on his '20 KTM ERZBERG 300 LE. So we matched that up with another LE from KTM. A 1997.5 200 Jackpiner.

IMG_3434.JPG

Maybe not a fair fight but two fantastic eastern woods bikes for sure! The 200 wants to fight, it always taunts you to twist it just a little bit more. Amazing motor for a 200. Power from the very bottom and a quick reving ripper. It feels 125 sized (which it is) but the strong output and ability to loft the front end at will makes it feel even lighter. It's kind of addictive really.
The 300 is just SO refined it's silly. Every aspect of its performance is at such a high level it just inspires your confidence.
Any speed you want it will happily do, no complaints. I think our only question was if the seat was TOO anti slip. Really that's all we could find! I guess we'll need to do further testing on this :twothumbs:
Last edited by oldschool on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Nice !

I always was a fan of the ‘89 KX 250 - I never did own one, but I really enjoyed watching Jeff Ward ripping on the steed BITD. Outdoor motocross was such a blast.
Steve

MVTR

Post Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:38 pm

Not a bad bike in the bunch.
Looking forward to future shootouts

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:31 pm

This weeks shoot out features four midsize thumpers spanning five decades!

Here's the contenders;
1985 Honda XR350R
1997 Honda XR400R
2007 KTM 400xcw
2021 KTM 350KR

Midsize 4 Stroke shoot out 7 2021.JPG

The XR400 and the KTM 350KR were in 'as delivered' condition. The XR350R and the KTM 400xcw have been fully dialed in for local conditions. Just saying.

The '85 suspension feels great in the woods, nice and compliant, very little deflection. Motor is fairly grunty and has good pull for a 36 year old bike. Rear drum brake is mostly for show, not stopping! I feel very comfortable out there on it. Solid bike.
It's younger brother the '97 XR400 has a lot of its DNA in it. Motor feels fresher and is a bit stronger everywhere but make the same noises has a similar feel to the 350. Suspension (as delivered) is firmer and does move the bike around some. It also has a real (disc) rear brake that is strong with good feel. Once dialed in this will be a very nice New England woods bike.

Midsize 4 Stroke Shoot out 7 2021a.JPG

Moving on to the more modern half of the field, the 400xcw is a very polished woods bike. It's very versatile like the 300exc we tested last week only in 4 Stroke form. It's suspension (Thanks Tom!) is magic and just sucks up everything and anything. The motor works from off idle and build power strongly as the revs rise. Recluse clutch is useful in the tight nasty places. It's just a nice place to be off road. It is like a magic carpet, not fatiguing the rider, very capable.

Then there's the 350 Kalib Russel Edition. It is the size of a modern 250, with a 350 motor that revs to like 14k. (Well, not yet fully broken in) As delivered it was set up firm at both ends and that needs to be sorted. Motor feel strong and hints of things to come as the break in continues. It does make a lot of engine noise which they are known for. Brakes, chassis and ergos are what you expect from a new KTM. Once this is dialed in I am really looking forward to another shoot out with it! :pop

Midsize 4 Stroke Shoot out 7 2021b.JPG

And how about this, a working Enduro computer on the 350!
Last edited by oldschool on Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 pm

1985 Honda XR350 Enduro computer that works!

85 XR350 Enduro Meter.JPG

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:53 pm

After breaking my foot the last time I rode an XR350R, I was hesitant to throw a leg over this one..
Glad I did as this bike restored my confidence in the old thumper.
Suspension was dialed and smooth. Motor wasn’t as strong by comparison but felt capable and controlled.
Geometry was noticeably more stable than the XR400R but some of that could be due to the stiffer/ more harsh suspension on the 400. Im confident that 400 has a lot of suspension performance waiting to be tuned in.
Even though there’s more than a decade between the two models, you could feel the heritage.
At this point we’ve had at least 10 different bikes at these secret test track. The 2007 KTM 400 is by far the fastest for me.
Heads down the most confidence inspiring bike. Granted it probably has the most suspension tuning done and it shows. And that motor flat out rips. Or it doesn’t... all depends on what you ask of it.
The ‘21 KTM needs tuning. Definitely feels like a weapon but it’s harsh right now.. need more time on it and no doubt some suspension clicks are coming.
Good test day.

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:14 pm

I'm enjoying the review and comparo. I had a XR400 and remember it being comfy, well mannered, fairly powerful and Heavy.
Also, it was a PIG to kick over. Is the XR400 the heaviest in the group?
I may have to go for a [more] modern bike soon. Keep 'em coming!
Valves are STILL for toilets!

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:25 pm

Good stuff guys. If you think that 400 is good don't ride my 09 KTM 450xcf. There is a reason I still have that bike after 12 years. :)
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:05 am

T-Dub13 wrote:
I'm enjoying the review and comparo. I had a XR400 and remember it being comfy, well mannered, fairly powerful and Heavy.
Also, it was a PIG to kick over. Is the XR400 the heaviest in the group?
I may have to go for a [more] modern bike soon. Keep 'em coming!

The XR400 fires in 2 kicks cold and 1 kick when warm. It’s bone stock though. Start messing with the motor or carb and it can only become more difficult to start.
I only feel the weight when loading it in the van. But it’s not bad.
We’ll be adding a DR350 into the mix soon and that’s very similar as far as starting goes.

Previous

Return to All Things Vintage