Board index All Things Vintage 2021 Richardson's Vintage

2021 Richardson's Vintage

A place to relive, revive, and ride that "old iron".

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:42 am

Next vintage round coming in 2+ weeks. As the Trail Boss I can tell you I just rode the 2.1 mile vintage loop this weekend (on an Ossa BTW) and its in nice shape despite all the recent rain. Hope to get a helmet cam put together before the race.
PSTR Vice President
NETRA Board Member
Vintage Junkie
"Look for me in the results, immediately above the DNF's"

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:28 am

I’ll be there Chris. Looking forward to it.

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:49 am

Looking forward to it Chris! I'll be there and maybe on something else besides the Cagiva. :)
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:45 pm

I’m in !
Steve

MVTR

Post Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:04 pm

Have you had any luck with the track preview? 2.1 miles.... how many laps are you anticipating the event will be?
I'm hoping for good weather and plan to attend. thank you!

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:17 am

Petetanner wrote:
Have you had any luck with the track preview? 2.1 miles.... how many laps are you anticipating the event will be?
I'm hoping for good weather and plan to attend. thank you!

The first two miles of this helmet cam is the Vintage/PeeWee course (minus a return road to the start field). We should have a less blurry version up tomorrow. The fast Pre-Modern guys will probably do 10-11 laps. The way the property lays out it was either 2.x miles of fun trails or 4.2 with a LOT of rocks in the second half.
https://www.youtube.com/v/crUBXoo54U4
PSTR Vice President
NETRA Board Member
Vintage Junkie

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:26 am
RM
B Class Poster

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:27 pm

Looking forward to it. It'll be nice to be back on a bike. These long breaks between races are good for sorting bikes but bad for getting any kind of rhythm for actually racing. Plus it will be good to see the crew. :)
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer
1977 MX3, 1977 RM 175, 1980 CR250R, 1981 PE250, 1988 Cagiva WMX, 90 CRM250, 98 YZ250

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:04 pm

RM wrote:

The two bike format is excellent for course previews! :beer

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 pm

Track looks great! thanks for all the hard work. see you on Saturday

Post Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:53 am

Thank you to the club! The course was fun and well put together.It was great to see all the vintage iron out there. All the workers powered through the heat to keep things moving and safe for us on the course. The competition was great, but makes me feel my vintage! lol at more than twice the age of my bike, I had to dig deep to stay with my competitors, cudos to them on the pace they set! I'm just going to have to train a little harder for the next one I attend. The older I get...the faster I was.. :omg:

Post Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:05 pm

Thanks Chris and PSTR! Great track for what that place has to offer! Lots of good sections to get some good flow going and some typically New England terrain to keep you on your toes. I hit the dirt more than I'd like but for a first outing on the IT I'll take it!
Tom A.
SRCR President
Vintage Series Racer

Post Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:49 am

That was a good venue ! I took some good old fashioned helmet cam, but either I need to invest in a new GoPro with image stabilization or spend some time dialing in the suspension :)

But this is the first two laps. Anyone know the fellow that bit it right before we entered the woods?

https://youtu.be/hhszR7WNdNw
Steve

MVTR

Post Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:47 pm
BT
C Class Poster

Thanks Chris B. and the PSTR for a fun event. I appreciate all the sweep riders who stopped to help when my bike quit (special thanks to the guy that finally got it going again)!

Here is a question for all the vintage mechanics:

I was riding a 1974 Honda XL250 with stock ignition and carburetor. It has points and condenser (not electronic) ignition. I did not have the 6 volt battery installed. The ignition is designed to run without the battery, it only needs the battery for the lights which I removed before the race. After about four laps, the bike started to sputter a bit (intermittently) when I let the rpm drop but it seemed OK at higher revs most of the time. All of the sudden it cut out and would not restart. The bike and I sat in the woods for what seemed like a long time (maybe 15 - 20 minutes?), and I occasionally tried to start it. Finally one of the sweep riders was able to get it started again and I was able to complete the loop.

Any ideas of what could be going on? I am guessing it is something electrical that got too hot and then fixed itself when it cooled. Could it be a bad ignition coil? Condenser? Loose nut holding the handlebars? I did remove the gas cap so I know there was plenty of fuel and it wasn't a clogged tank vent. Has anybody else had a similar experience and then found the root cause?

I would appreciate any ideas and tips on where to start looking for the problem.

Bill T :thumbsup:

Post Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Great event Chris and Club! Thank you.

Bill I was bummed when I went by you and saw you sitting there. You were going good on that XL and you were really making me push to keep your front tire out of my peripheral vision. Then you disappeared so I knew something must has happened. If it didn’t quit on you that last lap was going to get exciting I’m sure!

In the past before I converted the MR250 to electronic ignition it had points as well. My experience with fouled points was you never got it back running unless you cleaned and adjusted them. Usually this happened once a year during a race or at home riding but never got back running when it happened always had to push it out. I suspect your theory about something loosing contact from heat and then cooling off and reconnecting could be valid, maybe a loose ground too? What about checking the valve clearances? Stuck carb float? Were you able to check the plug for spark at the time? For sure it’s one or more of three things, spark, compression, and/or fuel. The only one I’ve ever been able to fix mid ride is fuel. Unless I had a plug wrench.

Post Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:31 am
BT
C Class Poster

Hi Bill,

I wasn't carrying a plug wrench so I didn't try to check for spark in the woods. I thought it was cool that we had a battle of the Honda 250's going on for a while, 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. While it was running the old XL was lots of fun to ride. You may see us in the back row again one day.....

Post Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:49 am

BT wrote:
Thanks Chris B. and the PSTR for a fun event. I appreciate all the sweep riders who stopped to help when my bike quit (special thanks to the guy that finally got it going again)!

Here is a question for all the vintage mechanics:

I was riding a 1974 Honda XL250 with stock ignition and carburetor. It has points and condenser (not electronic) ignition. I did not have the 6 volt battery installed. The ignition is designed to run without the battery, it only needs the battery for the lights which I removed before the race. After about four laps, the bike started to sputter a bit (intermittently) when I let the rpm drop but it seemed OK at higher revs most of the time. All of the sudden it cut out and would not restart. The bike and I sat in the woods for what seemed like a long time (maybe 15 - 20 minutes?), and I occasionally tried to start it. Finally one of the sweep riders was able to get it started again and I was able to complete the loop.

Any ideas of what could be going on? I am guessing it is something electrical that got too hot and then fixed itself when it cooled. Could it be a bad ignition coil? Condenser? Loose nut holding the handlebars? I did remove the gas cap so I know there was plenty of fuel and it wasn't a clogged tank vent. Has anybody else had a similar experience and then found the root cause?

I would appreciate any ideas and tips on where to start looking for the problem.

Bill T :thumbsup:

Unfortunately there's usually no shortcuts on these things, and the fact that it happens more when hot makes it more difficult to diagnose. I'd start with a carb clean (particularly the pilot jet) as some crap could have got in there from your gas tank and caused the problem at low revs. Try to remove your float bowl without draining the gas out and you can see if you had 'swimmers' in there. If you were running a fuel filter (which you always should on old bikes) I'd replace. As Bill stated, its rare for electrical problems to heal themselves when they cool down but if the fuel remedies don't work its cheap enough to replace the points/condensor.
PSTR Vice President
NETRA Board Member
Vintage Junkie

Post Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:33 am
BT
C Class Poster

Good suggestions Chris, thanks. Now I just have to find the time to start digging into it. :beer

Post Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:21 pm
jsc
C Class Poster

sjsst41 wrote:
That was a good venue ! I took some good old fashioned helmet cam, but either I need to invest in a new GoPro with image stabilization or spend some time dialing in the suspension :)

But this is the first two laps. Anyone know the fellow that bit it right before we entered the woods?

https://youtu.be/hhszR7WNdNw

SS, when you upload the video, is there google (you tube, or go pro) stabilization software you can run it through?
or is it all in the camera?

Jeff

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Jeff - so I used to have access to GoPro software that would do image stabilization. It never “looked” quite right though, so I never posted it up. The new GoPros have integrated stabilization while recording - I’m guessing some fast-steering mechanism, which is the way to go. I just need to upgrade, or choose better lines :biggrin
Steve

MVTR

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Cool photo by Paul B
Attachments
F06F67F0-5BFF-4E69-8303-3401D7BD634F.jpeg
Steve

MVTR

Return to All Things Vintage