Board index Events What event?

What event?

Hare scrambles, Enduros, Turkey Runs, Oh my!

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:50 am

Hey all, trying to figure out what type of event to ride. I am new to dual sport (two years). I have a slow pig Honda CRF 250L. I have no dirt bike experience but I did successfully ride the MABDR and the TAT last summer. I am looking to do some of the events sanctioned by NETRA and listed here but I really do not know what to enter. Hare Scramble? Enduro? Turkey Run? I've read the descriptions of those types of events and have to confess I don't really understand what I'd be getting into. I definitely do not want to ride difficult single track type trails. The descriptions of "Enduro" and "Hare Scramble" look loose enough to me that there could be the type of ledgy, muddy, rooty, rock garden type sections that I want to avoid. I am looking for events that involves some asphalt connections to easy gravel/jeep type roads in the woods. Long mileage all-day events are good. Things like the BDRs or Puppy Dog Trail type riding. Does that exist in these sanctioned events? What am I looking for?
Thanks

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Start with a Turkey run, the trails can be challenging based on your skills but they're not competitive so you can go at your own pace, and you can usually find people at your level to ride with. There are also road sections connecting trails so if you've had enough at any point you can just GPS your way back to the start.

There are also dual sport rides but I only see 3 on the calendar. Turkey runs, Dual sport rides, and Fun rides are the non-competitive events that are best for dipping your toe in the water.

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:29 pm

As stated above try out a Turkey Run though it sounds like by your description a dual sport or even an adventure ride would be a better place to start.
My club has a great Adventure Ride coming up in May, the Berkshire Trail Riders Big Bike Adventure. We are even offering a rider skills clinic this year.

Check it out here:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-berkshire-big-adventure-may-16th-to-17th-2020-colebrook-ct.1429937/

Skills clinic:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-bba-adv-dirt-rider-skills-clinic-may-14th-and-15th-colebrook-ct.1429938/

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:56 pm

I would advise that you start with an event that is advertised as a “Dual Sport” or an “Adventure bike” ride.
Events advertised as “ Turkey Runs” will be much tougher than you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks guys. I will look for Turkey runs that have "hero section" detours or easier dual-sport rides. I appreciate it.

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 am

Check out the fun rides on the calendar too. Several loops for all abilities! NO PRESSURE. The Pathfinder’s Fun Ride at Mt. Southington is always a favorite!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:52 am

If you liked the TAT and MABDR but felt that the terrain was your limit then I agree with avoiding the Turkey Runs. I wouldn't suggest one for someone with no dirt bike experience. They are much tougher than the ADV rides you completed.
Check out the local threads on the ADV Rider forum. There is a ton of info on rides and meets on that forum that are probably more of what you are looking for.
I would highly suggest joining a local club. You'll get hooked up with the type of rides you are looking for. These are the guys that knows the local routes well.

Where are you located?

Post Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Just show up for The Triple B Turkey Run . It will be a breeze ! Ha Ha , just seriously kidding !

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:57 am

Getting close to the first race of springish tyme. , 1st being Blue Slope . Wondering, it's about that time when detailed info --- Flyer type-- info should be available.

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:57 pm

My guess is we won't be able to run any events because of states banning large gatherings.

Return to Events