Board index General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber Frank DeGray

Frank DeGray

Blah, Blah, Blah, dirt bikes... Yada, Yada, Yada, dirt bikes.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:30 pm

Frank DeGray, enduro champion in '60 & '62, and owner of a Triumph and other imported motorcycle dealership in Ellington, CT passed away Sunday, November 15, 2020 (with as much family as possible given current circumstances).

Nick of Manchester Honda/KTM/Husqvarna parts department is his grandson. He reported that Frank had a bad stroke earlier in the week and was responsive for a short time but slipped into unconsciousness and didn't come out of it.

He was a New England icon for many years, and an important member of the Ramblers for many years. Most old-timers that rode in the 60's and 70's have a 'Frank' story or two! He was quite the character and a man of few words, but he made them count when he spoke.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Here's a quick note from his daughter Diane:

Good morning, just letting you know that my Dad passed early Sunday morning at the age of 91.

I have attached some excerpts from our submission to the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame 18 years ago (which rejected him!) and a photo of him at one of his enduros from long ago. As his children we are often in awe of the impact he had on this industry. He was the original inventor of the enduro route sheet holder, which is still used to this day. This info just sums him up to a T, and he will be sorely missed. I hope you enjoy reading.

Read the testimonials here:
https://www.netra.org/wp-content/upload ... etters.pdf

Post Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Very sad to hear of Frank's passing. I remember being a little kid and being at Franks house with my dad who raced with Frank, and in the basement, Frank fired up his bike and rode it up the stairs out the hatchway. I was forever impressed.

My condolences to his entire family, Russ MacIntyre
I wanted a rich uncle, but I got an Uncle Rich.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear this. My condolences to Marge and all the DeGray family members. I used to enjoy talking to all the old timers when I stopped at his shop in Ellington. As a kid I also remember going to his shop in Vernon with my neighbor to buy parts for his race bike.

Post Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 am

Frank was quite the character! I first met him at his shop by the airport back around 1977 as I had recently acquired my first Airhead, a 1971 BMW R60/5 and needed parts for an upcoming cross country trip. Lets just say he had his own way of getting things done ;) . Always some unique bikes in the front 'showroom' and if you looked hard you might even find a BMW. British stuff everywhere as well. This was a real motorcycle shop and locals just stopped by to visit other like minded folks even if they didn't need anything. With the trend to boutique style shops not far off even back then, Frank's shop was a safe haven that always struck me as the far better approach. There was a sign something to the effect of "Call first if you hope to find me open" as he might be out riding instead of waiting for you to come in and buy a set of points.

I miss this old guard of our motorcycling sport. Most shops now are unfortunately much like car dealerships. Frank was one of a kind and for me, one of my kind. RIP Frank, there are still Triumphs that need the new top ends broken in just right!
You'll be missed by many and remembered by many more.

Condolences to all of the family and friends, his was a life well lived.

Return to General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber