Board index The Extra Bolt Garage stuck exhaust header bolt

stuck exhaust header bolt

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:57 am

I knew I should not have taken this project on once I saw the side panels held on by wood screws and nothing holding the tank on...but here I am anyway. The header is held on by two allen head bolts that moved a bit but then became stuck to the point where I think they will break if I put more torque on them. Soaking with PB blaster now, but tough spot to soak as I am working against gravity.

Steel bolt into aluminum cylinder - so I'm thinking if I heat the cylinder up and not the bolt that would help? Otherwise does it make sense to heat the bolt, cool it, pb blast it and repeat the cycles a few times?
Last edited by fishon401 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It just needs a carb cleaning"

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:04 am

I have had a lot of luck with Loctite freeze and release. I heat the area around the bolt with a small torch then spray the freeze and release into/onto the bolt threads. Never had any issues with it not working

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:23 am

crfrick wrote:
I have had a lot of luck with Loctite freeze and release. I heat the area around the bolt with a small torch then spray the freeze and release into/onto the bolt threads. Never had any issues with it not working

This stuff worked, thanks!
"It just needs a carb cleaning"

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:40 pm

:clap: :clap: glad to here it. It has never let me down

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:38 am

Post that stuff in the Vintage Resource Resto thread

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 am

I have good luck with both of those products listed above....Someone around here suggested using 50% Acetone and 50% Automatic transmission fluid as a cheap alternative. I've been using this method for a while and it works well....
'05 KTM 250exc
'82 Yamaha IT175j
'77 Honda XR75
Netra#23897 "I just want to save them all"

Return to The Extra Bolt Garage