Board index The Extra Bolt Garage Electric power washer?

Electric power washer?

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 pm

I've been thinking about picking up one of those harbor freight electric power washers for a while, anyone have any experience with them, positive or negative before I pull the trigger? Talking something like this mostly just for getting the mud off the bikes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1750-PSI-13-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-63254.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjgxNjg0NTIiLCJza3UiOiI2MzI1NCIsImlzIjoiNzkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTE5NzQifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 pm

i bought one from home depot. been through two handles in three years. about 40 bucks for a replacement
not sure if i'd by a cheap one. but is there a better one out there.
as far as electric, i really like it. not so much power to blow off paint or screw up seals.
don't have to maintain another gas engine is a bonus
i'd try a harbor freight for 75 bucks

got my money's worth for 100 bucks

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:21 am

When my current gas one lets go, I'm going back to electric. Trying to reduce the number of internal combustion engines in my life (maintenance). For washing dirt bikes, low/medium pressure is better anyway.

The last time I bought a H.F. one, I got the extended warranty and was glad for it. Right before it expired at the end of the first year, the washer expired too. Got a new one for $0. Regardless of the brand, they're all pretty much junk. I treat it like any other wear item and know that it will need to be replaced.
NETRA BoD, President

You are NETRA!

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 am

Tony wrote:
When my current gas one lets go, I'm going back to electric. Trying to reduce the number of internal combustion engines in my life (maintenance). For washing dirt bikes, low/medium pressure is better anyway.

That's my thinking, one less oil to change and one less carb to succumb to **** gas but if most people are saying these things are practically disposable that's not exactly the way I want to go either.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:30 am

XRs_Mostly wrote:
That's my thinking, one less oil to change and one less carb to succumb to **** gas but if most people are saying these things are practically disposable that's not exactly the way I want to go either.

I also had a Karcher from Home Depot. Got two seasons out of it for $100.
NETRA BoD, President

You are NETRA!

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am

I've had an electric Karcher for close to 10 years. Did have to replace to handle/wand once.
For small jobs like cleaning dirt bikes the electric ones are fine and easy to use....IE no gas & oil.

One thing I've found that will kill any power washer is to leave them in an environment that will allow them to freeze, like an outside shed or your bike trailer.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:08 pm

slojo wrote:
I've had an electric Karcher for close to 10 years. Did have to replace to handle/wand once.
For small jobs like cleaning dirt bikes the electric ones are fine and easy to use....IE no gas & oil.

One thing I've found that will kill any power washer is to leave them in an environment that will allow them to freeze, like an outside shed or your bike trailer.

I run RV (pink non-toxic) antifreeze through mine before each winter. I have a gas model, so it has to stay outside.
another way to make them last a bit longer is to never turn them on until they have good water supply through them. If you spin it up dry, you wear the pump out faster.
I wanted a rich uncle, but I got an Uncle Rich.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:22 pm

I bought the cheap Harbor Freight one 2 years ago and so far no problems. I only use it when the bike is real muddy or I really want it clean.
Netra# 4012

Return to The Extra Bolt Garage