Board index The Extra Bolt Garage 06 CRF inconsistent starting warm / cold

06 CRF inconsistent starting warm / cold

Post your mechanical questions here. Tips. Trick. Techniques.

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Hopefully I can get some guidance or input. I have a new to me 06 250r. When I bought it started and ran and rode fine, the next day when I went to ride for the day it would not start. I kicked and kicked. With a manual I tested the electrical system, fuel system etc. and then I completely removed the carb from the bike (have pics to prove it lol ) and disassembled and found a clogged jet. Continued the cleaning and inspection and reassembled it. It started on the 2nd choked kick, and I adjusted the Idle down successfully.

I have briefly rode it a couple of times and it seems like it runs fine with plenty of power, good throttle response and I can even lug it a little when needed. But it has this issue where it is very inconstant starting back up after its warm and or hot. I have a 170 main , a 42 Slow , My needle is 3 from the top, and ( I may have wrote this down wrong) a NHGT on the needle, pilot 1 3/4 out. Also It seems like the idle gets higher while riding it. I am baffled as to why it can start 45 mins hot using the hot start, but then not start at all the next time out same situation or even warm.

YES.... I was that guy at the wood chopper in the C senior line. :lol:

Keyword here would be inconsistent warm / hot when its cold it fires right up choked and runs great... Thankful for any input...

Sell it, buy a two stroke... there.... someone had to say it. :biggrin

Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

Did you check the valves?

sounds to me its the valves. Check to make sure the carb and jets are clean, and there is no water in the fuel. Checking the valves is very simple to do and there are a million good write ups on the web on how to adjust.

MikeDi wrote:
Sell it, buy a two stroke... there.... someone had to say it. :biggrin

I have one but i wanted to ride this at the choppa..

crfrick wrote:
sounds to me its the valves. Check to make sure the carb and jets are clean, and there is no water in the fuel. Checking the valves is very simple to do and there are a million good write ups on the web on how to adjust.

Yes the carb was removed, checked and cleaned, Fresh gas good flow. I have also found out that while all my jets are within spec for the model the needle is something not in the manuals some wacky NGHT letters. I will replace and try that and check the valves.

Thanks for the input guys

Return to The Extra Bolt Garage