Board index All Things Vintage VIN Check

VIN Check

A place to relive, revive, and ride that "old iron".

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Looking to get another '89 YZ125 and was wondering how you guys do your VIN check. My local PD will not do it.

I've seen these and the VIN comes back clean.

https://www.nicb.org/how-we-help/vincheck
http://vincheck.info/

Would you trust them?
Richard
At some point in life, everyone has gambled on a fart and lost.

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Why will the local PD not do it? Bet if you tell them you think it’s stolen, they will change their tune :omg:
Steve

VP, MVTR

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 pm

My town pd will only do it if you bring them the bike.But I know if your in Mass or the bike is call the game warden Dem and they will go to where the bike is at to run it.So if the seller is sure its not stolen they should give up the address so they can go there first and run it before you buy it.
79 GS 425 E
91 KDX 200
07 GSXR 1000
08 Polaris Sportsman 500

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:39 am

Are you trying to register it, or just find out if it's stolen?
In CT, anything older than 1980 has to go to Wethersfield or Hamden to have a VIN check, before it can be registered. Not sure where you live. Most likely different in your state.
Also, anything that resembles a dirt bike has to go to Wethersfield or Hamden.

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am

Gord wrote:
Are you trying to register it, or just find out if it's stolen?
In CT, anything older than 1980 has to go to Wethersfield or Hamden to have a VIN check, before it can be registered. Not sure where you live. Most likely different in your state.
Also, anything that resembles a dirt bike has to go to Wethersfield or Hamden.

Gord, I want to see if it is stolen. Eventually, it would get a MA OHV registration as no place to ride in RI; so I have to go to MA.

Local PD couldn't be bothered, I tried before with them on another bike. They are not doing VIN checks.
Richard
At some point in life, everyone has gambled on a fart and lost.

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 am

PM sent with solution.

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 pm

In Mass, I've had great luck with calling the local PD. However I learned that sometimes the local PD and the State PD systems don't sync. And the EPO system doesn't either. Who knows if the registry would know if a bike is stolen or not.
The EPO's are very cooperative and most likely to come across a stolen bike because of their function.
Long story short: Either call everyone or try to register it before putting any money into it.
Good luck!
Valves are STILL for toilets!

Return to All Things Vintage