Board index General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber Ram Mount OK for Enduros ?

Ram Mount OK for Enduros ?

Blah, Blah, Blah, dirt bikes... Yada, Yada, Yada, dirt bikes.

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:59 am

Does anyone use Ram mounts for their chart/route sheet holder for enduros? I trying to save some room on my bars and was wondering if the Ram mounts are strong enough to withstand the constant banging around.

thanks
Chris

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:46 pm
Dan User avatar

B Class Poster

I would think that the first time you fell over in the rocks you'd be stuffing what's left of the thing into you tool pack.

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:20 pm

jester125 wrote:
Does anyone use Ram mounts for their chart/route sheet holder for enduros? I trying to save some room on my bars and was wondering if the Ram mounts are strong enough to withstand the constant banging around.

thanks
Chris

I have used a Ram Mount for my hand held GPS. I have never lost it. Even rode 500 miles in the sand whoops of Michigan. Just make sure you tether it to your bars in case it does come loose.

GPSRam.jpg
NETRA Webmaster | NETRA BoD | Pathfinders Motorcycle Club

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Make sure to position it like you see in the picture. I've seen some guys mount them with the post facing up and all I can think of is it becoming a spear and stabbing the rider during a fall.

-------------------
You Are NETRA
NETRA BoD, President

You are NETRA!

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 am
Gbg
C Class Poster

jester125 wrote:

thanks
Chris

I use one, and it works fine. Sometimes I have to tighten it a ways into the ride as the ball compresses a bit, but other than that it is plenty solid, quick to mount, and easy to position. I use a clutch perch that is threaded to hold a mirror with a threaded ram ball screwed into that. With another ram ball mounted to the bottom of a BRZ route sheet holder.

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 am

Gbg wrote:
jester125 wrote:

thanks
Chris

I use one, and it works fine. Sometimes I have to tighten it a ways into the ride as the ball compresses a bit, but other than that it is plenty solid, quick to mount, and easy to position. I use a clutch perch that is threaded to hold a mirror with a threaded ram ball screwed into that. With another ram ball mounted to the bottom of a BRZ route sheet holder.

Greg, can you post a picture of your setup? Interested in doing something similar. Thanks - Mike

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 am

I use a ram mount (each) for my phone and mirror off season when I’m out farting around. It should have no problems keeping a route sheet holder in places, although with your antics Chris, it may need a tightening of repositioning here and there.

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback all, Chip you know the struggles with keeping my bike upright too well.

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm

I find that the $0.25 hose clamp works just fine.
Ride On.

Post Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:01 am

fishon401 wrote:
I find that the $0.25 hose clamp works just fine.

Thats what Ive been using and its a PITA to turn the sheet holder and it doesn't fit very well with the KTM handlebar dampeners.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 am

I use a Ram mount for my Delorme GPS and haven't had a problem. I stopped using a route sheet holder. I use a map bag that clips to my handle bars that holds maps about 10 x 8. About $16 on ebay. Gears snowmobile map holder. You'll have to reconfigure the clips to the top instead of sides. Punch a hole and use zip ties. Works great. No more cutting and splicing route sheets. Just have to reposition papers or maps a few times

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 pm

I use Ram mounts for my route sheet holder and GPS. I mount the RAM mount to my bark busters - since I have limited bar space - plus when I tip over the route sheet holder and GPS move out of the way and don't become an immovable object.

side-view-bark-.png

ram-kit_2.png

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Like GBG said, we can put on a RAM Mount if need be. No worries. I also normally ask if there is room on your handle bars and/or send me a picture. We have made plenty of custom mounts for people. I remember Dave Gunn being very meticulous about this way back in the early 2000's when we first started making them!

Just throwing that out there if you have our RSH and need something special :beer

Bob

Return to General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber