Board index General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber What tires/pressures to run?

What tires/pressures to run?

Blah, Blah, Blah, dirt bikes... Yada, Yada, Yada, dirt bikes.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:26 pm

I'm looking to race some of my first hare scrambles this season. I am currently running IRC VE-33 on the rear and a VE-35 on the front. Does anyone have any other tire recommendations for the rocky terrain in New England or recommendations for tire pressures?

-Trent

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:29 pm

TZanow wrote:
I'm looking to race some of my first hare scrambles this season. I am currently running IRC VE-33 on the rear and a VE-35 on the front. Does anyone have any other tire recommendations for the rocky terrain in New England or recommendations for tire pressures?

-Trent

The most common combination in NETRA is Bridgestone M59 front and Pirelli MT16 rear. Some have been switching over (including me) to Kenda Ibex or Equilibrium in the rear.

Be sure to run Ultra Heavy Duty tubes on both ends (or mousses) and most guys run between 10 and 11 PSI.

Welcome to NETRA racing. You'll have a blast!
NETRA BoD, President

You are NETRA!

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Welcome.
Depending on your speed 10/11 pounds may bring flats. If you are a B rider or better 12/13 is way safer. A/AA riders need bibs or could flat the front from their speeds. I know many will say HD tubes will prevent many flats but it will happen to faster riders/racers.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Or - if you have the "girth" of Dave or I, then 15/15 might be a good choice.

Bmrev01 wrote:
Welcome.
Depending on your speed 10/11 pounds may bring flats. If you are a B rider or better 12/13 is way safer. A/AA riders need bibs or could flat the front from their speeds. I know many will say HD tubes will prevent many flats but it will happen to faster riders/racers.

Anyone try the Kenda Washougal tires ? Also considering other tire options over the M59/MT16 that I've been running for a long, long time.
Steve

VP, MVTR

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:27 am

Yup the standard NE combo, M59 Front and MT16 rear.
Now, for what it's worth. the MT16 is the easiest tire to mount.

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 am
jsc
C Class Poster

Steve i have the M59 Washougal II combo. and just like the MT16 i have a love hate with it. when its great its great but then there are spots where i think i my tire is bald. I may try the Kenda Equilibrium next, more Trials tire like.
I run Tubliss and run 8-10, never any flats.

Anyone try the Kenda Washougal tires ? Also considering other tire options over the M59/MT16 that I've been running for a long, long time.[/quote]

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:28 pm

MikeDi wrote:
Yup the standard NE combo, M59 Front and MT16 rear.
Now, for what it's worth. the MT16 is the easiest tire to mount.

And then there are a few oddballs like me with M59 front and a trials tire on the back. 11-12psi upfront 9-10psi on the back. Don't even think about running stock tubes, get yourself some ultra heavy duty Bridgstone tubes (or bibs or Tubliss).
"It just needs a carb cleaning"

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:06 pm

I love the m59 front. Currently running a Shinko 505 cheater rear. Not the best in the mud but great on the rocks. 12psi front and 9 rear.

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 am

sjsst41 wrote:
Or - if you have the "girth" of Dave or I, then 15/15 might be a good choice.

Bmrev01 wrote:
Welcome.

Anyone try the Kenda Washougal tires ? Also considering other tire options over the M59/MT16 that I've been running for a long, long time.

Talk to Shawn L about the Washougal.

Post Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 pm

99% of the time I’m running M59 front and MT16 in the rear. I have not switched to bibs yet. I still run a ultra heavy duty tube and do just fine. 11psi in the front and rear. I like the shinko 505 Cheater but it is really 1 dimensional and that’s in dry conditions.
2016 KTM 250XCW, 2004 Sherco 290

ZowaOptics, Acerbis, RYNO POWER, Engine Ice, Twin Air, Sunstar Sprocket & Chain, ProShotCam

Post Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 pm

If your riding the enduro series, a Kenda Equilibrium rear and M59 front with nitromousse work really well on the dry rocks and roots...mud not so much.

Sent from my Dirtbike using Tapatalk

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 am

I used to run the M59 front and MT16 rear - but have had great luck with MITAS 946 Ice and Snow - Single white stripe Rear - The traction is exceptional on the rocks and roots, wear is surprisingly good - way better than the Kenda IBEX, and better than the Golden Tyre 230.

As for front - I like the GoldenTyre - 216AA Fatty Front - or the MITAS C-19 over size 90/100 front tire - gets a little more cushion against the rocks and roots.

Ammo Turkey run I ran 12.5 - 13 front and rear. I use heavy tubes - and I hit everything !

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:52 pm

MikeR wrote:
I love the m59 front. Currently running a Shinko 505 cheater rear. Not the best in the mud but great on the rocks. 12psi front and 9 rear.
This is the combo I'm running right now. The M59 is a proven tire for New England. The 505 cheater has been great for me ( old,slow trailrider), I was worried about wear issues, but so far so good.

Post Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm

ktmglen wrote:
MikeR wrote:
This is the combo I'm running right now. The M59 is a proven tire for New England. The 505 cheater has been great for me ( old,slow trailrider), I was worried about wear issues, but so far so good.
If the 505 is working well don't hesitate to try the kenda ibex rear tire. That's what I am on now. It's is much better on the rocks and slightly better in the mud than a 505. I have about 200 miles on it now and it is wearing decent so far. I am middle aged and slow though lol. I hear if you spin the tire alot you can wreck the ibex EXTREMELY fast. So far so good for me. Image

Return to General Dirt Bike Jibber-Jabber